The EQUUSOMA™ Basics are geared towards equine-assisted practitioners regardless of equine-assisted psychotherapy and learning (EAPL) approach.
The trainings are also for Somatic Experiencing® students and practitioners (or those currently training in a related approach1).
Training cohorts will aim to have different combinations of students from either category, allowing a rich opportunity for individuals from both backgrounds to learn from one another.
The pre-requisites to attend further intensives beyond the initial Basics training are listed below.
Basic Intensive Pre-Requisites
- Equine-Assisted Practitioners:
- Have completed training in any approach (or combination of approaches) in EAPL, in the mental health clinician, experiential learning facilitator, or equine professional role, or be cross-trained.
- Have completed at least 5 personal sessions of Somatic Experiencing® (in person or remote by video/phone) as a client. These sessions can be completed with or without the involvement of horses, will be documented on the provided log sheet, and must be completed within 12 months of the date of the training.
- Traditional Somatic Experiencing® sessions: Can be completed in person, by phone or by video call with any Somatic Experiencing® Trauma Institute-approved providers worldwide. Visit the list of approved providers at https://traumahealing.org/session-providers/
- Equine-focused Somatic Experiencing® sessions: Must be completed with EQUUSOMA™-approved providers. Visit the list of approved providers at www.equusoma.com (if you know of someone who meets the criteria but is not listed, they must be pre-approved prior to completing your sessions with them).
- Alternative: Attending a 2-day Somatic Experiencing®-focused EAPL workshop will be considered an equivalent for 5 hours of personal sessions. Should there not be any SE™-focused EAPL that is accessible, EAPL sessions or workshops that incorporate Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Self-Regulation Therapy, Somatic Transformation, or another SE™-related approach will be considered for equivalency. Please submit for approval prior to attending.
- Somatic Experiencing Students and Practitioners:
- Be in the process of completing or have completed Somatic Experiencing® training (or related approaches; see footnote below).
- Have experienced at least 5 personal sessions of equine-assisted psychotherapy or learning as a client. These sessions can be completed from the perspective of any EAPL approach, will be documented on the provided log sheet, and must be completed within 12 months of the date of the training.
- EAPL sessions: Can be completed from the perspective of one approach, or a combination of approaches, with one or different providers. These do not necessarily have to involve Somatic Experiencing®.
- Equine-focused Somatic Experiencing® sessions: Must be completed with an EQUUSOMA™-approved provider. Visit the list of approved providers at www.equusoma.com (if you know of someone who meets the criteria but is not listed, they must be pre-approved prior to completing your sessions with them).
- Alternative: Attending a 2-day EAPL workshop will be considered an equivalent for 5 hours of personal sessions.
- Completing the following readings prior to the training is highly recommended:
- Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma (Peter Levine)
- In An Unspoken Voice (Peter Levine)
- Nurturing Resilience (Kathy Kain and Stephen Terrell)
- Language Signs and Calming Signals in Horses (Rachaël Draaisma)
- Horses in Company (Lucy Rees)
- Attending the training with the person you co-facilitate equine-assisted programs with (or plan to co-facilitate with) is encouraged to integrate the material. A 10% discount is offered to pairs of co-facilitators who register for the same training.
- A team of training assistants will be on hand to offer personal sessions during the intensive, should you be unable to complete all 5 prior to the start of day 1 (or for your own personal support during the training). However, depending on the number of assistants and students, only a limited number of SE™ session spots will be available (EAPL sessions may be possible depending on the training venue). Students are highly encouraged to complete the majority of the required hours before coming. Should a student be unable to complete the 5 sessions prior to the training, the log sheet will be still be required before obtaining the certificate of completion.
Additional Intensive Pre-Requisites
Intensives beyond the Basics training (to go deeper with the material and to focus on specific topics) will require different pre-requisites to attend. These may include additional personal sessions, consultation hours, readings, etc.
Secure your spot today! Spaces are limited. To register, click here.