Students must complete a certain number of credit hours receiving personal sessions and obtaining consultations to enhance integration of the material on a personal and professional level.
The personal sessions may be therapeutic but are educational in nature and do not constitute formal psychotherapy, unless a student decides to embark on a process of formal psychotherapy with a particular provider.
The individual consultations can be done to discuss cases as well as review theory and concepts.
The group consultations are to support students in completing the Level 1 and 2 assignments.
We encourage students to obtain sessions and consultations from a variety of providers so that they may benefit from their diverse experience, education, backgrounds, and styles. However, students may also opt to do some or all of their personal sessions with the same provider. Students are also required to complete a certain number of credit hours with faculty members.
Level 1 Student Credit Hours
- 10 hours of personal Somatic Experiencing sessions with any Somatic Experiencing® International (SEI)-approved personal session credit hour provider (approved at the advanced level). Please also check the list of international affiliates below to find providers in other countries, and check to ensure their approval level is equivalent to the advanced level.
- 5 hours of individual consultations with any dual SEI and EQUUSOMA®-approved consultation provider (the person must be pre-approved by EQUUSOMA® since the consultations must be focused on horse-human interactions).
- 5 hours of group consultations with any dual SEI and EQUUSOMA®-approved consultation provider.
Level 2 Student Credit Hours
- 5 hours of personal Somatic Experiencing sessions with horses with any dual SEI and EQUUSOMA®-approved personal session provider (the person must be pre-approved by EQUUSOMA® since the personal sessions must involve horses, whether in person or by video).
- 6 hours of individual consultations with any dual SEI and EQUUSOMA®-approved consultation provider.
- 6 hours of group consultations with any dual SEI and EQUUSOMA®-approved consultation provider.
Double Duty Hours
Credit hours completed for EQUUSOMA® training might also count for the SE™ training certificate provided that they are with an SEI-approved provider that is approved at the appropriate level of training and have taken place since starting the SE™ training (not before).
Conversely, credit hours completed for SE™ training might also count for the EQUUSOMA® training certificate provided that they match the criteria in the bullet lists above.
Pre-requisite hours that are completed for EQUUSOMA® training might also count towards the certification requirements of other EAPL programs (for e.g., certification programs that require individuals to explore other models of EAPL as part of their learning or to attend sessions or workshops in EAPL for their own personal growth). These hours may also count towards regulatory or licensing body requirements that require professionals to demonstrate a certain number of personal growth and professional consultation hours per year.
International SE Affiliate Associations
If you live in an area where there are no SEI-approved providers, please check with the following international SE affiliate associations to inquire about who may be in that country that is an approved credit provider equivalent to the SEI advanced level. Please note that even if there are no providers in a given country, students are welcome to work with any approved provider anywhere around the world by video if in-person is not possible.
North America (USA, Canada and international listings, including for countries that do not have their own association)
*Please note that some of these directories are paid membership-based and do not reflect the entire list of available SEPs in a given area.