Faculty Track Program
The faculty track exists in order to help shape the next generation of EQUUSOMA® instructors to meet the growing demand for trainings worldwide. Faculty-in-training develop an individualized learning plan in collaboration with founder Sarah Schlote that allows them to hone their skills and build on their strengths. Learning plan requirements may include but are not limited to: personal session and consultation/mentoring hours, group faculty meetings, assigned readings, related personal and professional development tools and resources, assisting and co-teaching training modules, solo teaching training modules under supervision, attending relevant webinars or master classes, and so on.
The number of individuals on the faculty track at any given time reflects a number of variables, including the founder’s capacity to take on another trainee, availability of qualified individuals, and need. Acceptance to the faculty track is not a guarantee that a faculty-in-training will become an approved faculty member. Appointment as a faculty member depends on student progress, skill and capacity.
The length of time an individual remains a faculty-in-training depends on that individual’s learning goals, capacity, opportunities to co-teach, and other factors. Faculty-in-training are paid an honorarium for their involvement co-teaching training modules. The faculty track program is an intentional program of study that may meet continuing education requirements of different professional associations (faculty-in-training are encouraged to check with their professional bodies).
Progressing to faculty track is on a case-by-case basis, and reflects a combination of skill, experience, capacity, and soft skills required to fulfill the demands of being a teacher and model of both Somatic Experiencing® and EQUUSOMA®. Diversity representation is an additional priority in terms of applicant criteria. Black, Indigenous, and other people of colour (BIPOC) or other racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ2SIA+ community, neurodivergent individuals, and individuals who speak additional languages other than English are encouraged to apply. The ability to service geographic locations that do not currently host live trainings is an asset.
To apply to faculty track, applicants must:
- Have Somatic Experiencing® Practitioner status
- Be an approved provider of personal sessions at the advanced level through Somatic Experiencing® International
- Have been involved in a horse-human interaction profession for at least 5 years (e.g., equine-assisted/facilitated psychotherapy or learning, equine behaviour consultation, riding instructor, horsemanship trainer, equine bodyworker, equine energy worker, animal communicator, etc.)
- Have assisted through at least one round of all EQUUSOMA® Level 1 and Level 2 training modules
- Have EQUUSOMA® consultation provider status approval at Level 1 and Level 2
- Submit an expression of interest and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete an interview
EQUUSOMA® is committed to equity, anti-oppressive, and anti-racist practice. Individuals who experience systemic barriers that prevent meeting some of these requirements are still encouraged to apply even if they do not have all listed criteria or are in the process of meeting these criteria.
Faculty Track Agreement
Faculty Agreement – North American Letter Format
Faculty Agreement – International A4 Format