The EQUUSOMA® Certificate Training is broken down into 3 levels. The global pandemic may affect length of time required to progress through the levels; as a result, there are no current deadlines by which to complete the levels or the training as a whole. We value our students and recognize the current extraordinary circumstances that we are having to adjust to.
- Submit a registration package, which are located on each individual event on the Events page (in Letter format) or on the Documents page (in Letter and A4 format). An electronic registration form is being developed to replace the PDF version and will be available soon.
EQUUSOMA® Level 1 (60+ hours)
- Attend Fundamentals I online — this is the first step for all interested students
- Complete 5 personal sessions of Somatic Experiencing® (*students who do not have a Somatic Experiencing background will also complete an online 2-day Foundations of Somatic Experiencing® prior to attending Fundamentals II)
- Attend Fundamentals II online
- Complete 5 additional personal sessions of Somatic Experiencing®
- Complete 5 individual consultations (consultations are to answer questions related to theory and practice and to debrief case examples from your work to guide you in integrating the material)
- Complete 5 group consultations (the group consultations are to assist you in completing your Level 1 assignment: developing a 2-day workshop / clinic curriculum integrating EQUUSOMA®)
Please note: The training modules themselves must be completed in the order listed on the website. For instance, for Level 1 online, this means:
- Attending EQUUSOMA® Fundamentals I prior to
- Attending Foundations of Somatic Experiencing® (for students lacking a background in Somatic Experiencing®), prior to
- Attending EQUUSOMA® Fundamentals II.
Students cannot register for Foundations of Somatic Experiencing® without having taken EQUUSOMA® Fundamentals I first.
EQUUSOMA® Level 2 (65+ hours)
- Completion of Level 1 is required to progress to Level 2
- Attend Practical Intensive I in person
- Complete 5 personal sessions of Somatic Experiencing® with horses
- Attend Practical Intensive II in person
- Complete 6 individual consultations (consultations are to answer questions related to theory and practice and to debrief case examples from your work to guide you in integrating the material)
- Complete 6 group consultations (the group consultations are to assist you in completing your Level 2 assignment: submitting 3 demo videos showing the integration of EQUUSOMA® with a human, with a horse, and in a horse-human interaction for review in your group, with written analysis)
EQUUSOMA® Practitioner (ESP): 125 hours +
- Completion of Levels 1 and 2 (and submission of assignments)
- Completion of required readings
- Submission of completed log sheets tracking your personal session and consultation hours
- Completion of a scope of practice statement
- Signed EQUUSOMA® code of ethics and standards of practice
- Letter of recommendation from 1 EQUUSOMA® faculty member
- Note: Additional requirements may be added depending on a particular training participant’s learning goals and skill sets
For additional information about the required personal session and consultation hours, please click on the PDF at the bottom of this page or read more information here.
The following texts are required reading for the course and can be completed at any time throughout the training process. There is no expectation that these readings be completed prior to any particular module.
- Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma (Peter Levine)
- In An Unspoken Voice (Peter Levine)
- Nurturing Resilience (Kathy Kain and Stephen Terrell)
- Language Signs and Calming Signals in Horses (Rachaël Draaisma)
- Horses in Company (Lucy Rees)
- Equus Lost? (Francesco De Giorgio and José De Giorgio-Schoorl)
There are also specific articles and resources provided during the modules that are required reading as well.
The training modules include additional course materials that are provided to students to further enhance knowledge and awareness, including theory and research articles from peer-reviewed journals, eBooks, and suggestions of other books and materials to review.