Students must complete a certain number of credit hours receiving personal sessions and obtaining consultations to enhance integration of the material on a personal and professional level.
The personal sessions may be therapeutic but are educational in nature and do not constitute formal psychotherapy, unless a student decides to embark on a process of formal psychotherapy with a particular provider.
The individual consultations can be done to discuss cases as well as review theory and concepts.
The group consultations are to support students in completing the Level 1 and 2 assignments.
We encourage students to obtain sessions and consultations from a variety of providers so that they may benefit from their diverse experience, education, backgrounds, and styles. However, students may also opt to do some or all of their personal sessions with the same provider. Students are also required to complete a certain number of credit hours with faculty members.
Level 1 Student Credit Hours
- 10 hours of personal Somatic Experiencing® sessions without horses with any Somatic Experiencing® International (SEI)-approved personal session credit hour provider (approved at the advanced level). If a student wishes to complete these sessions with horses present, they must meet additional EQUUSOMA criteria.
- Please view the SEI Credit Provider List to find a provider in your area. If there is no one in your area, these sessions can be done remotely by video with any advanced-level approved provider anywhere in the world.
- 5 hours of individual consultations with any EQUUSOMA®-approved consultation provider (the person must be pre-approved by EQUUSOMA® since the consultations must be focused on horse-human interactions).
- 5 hours of group consultations with EQUUSOMA® faculty or faculty-in-training. The group consultations are intended to support students to complete their Level 1 assignment.
Level 2 Student Credit Hours
- 5 hours of personal Somatic Experiencing® sessions with horses with any EQUUSOMA®-approved personal session provider (the person must be pre-approved by EQUUSOMA® since the personal sessions must involve horses, whether in person or by video).
- 6 hours of individual consultations with any EQUUSOMA®-approved consultation provider.
- 6 hours of group consultations with EQUUSOMA® faculty or faculty-in-training. The group consultations are intended to support students to complete their Level 2 assignment.
Double Duty Hours
We are fortunate to have a number of approved providers in the EQUUSOMA® community who are also approved providers within the Somatic Experiencing® community, allowing students who are attempting both training programs to streamline their efforts.
Credit hours completed for EQUUSOMA® training might also count for the Somatic Experiencing® training certificate so long as their provider is also approved through Somatic Experiencing® International at the appropriate level of SE™ training and the hours have taken place since starting the SE™ training (not before).
Conversely, credit hours completed for SE™ training might also count for the EQUUSOMA® training certificate provided that they match the EQUUSOMA® criteria.
Pre-requisite hours that are completed for EQUUSOMA® training might also count towards the certification requirements of other EAPL programs (for e.g., certification programs that require individuals to explore other models of EAPL as part of their learning or to attend sessions or workshops in EAPL for their own personal growth). These hours may also count towards regulatory or licensing body requirements that require professionals to demonstrate a certain number of personal growth and professional consultation hours per year. Students are responsible to looking into whether this applies to them.