Over the years, many Somatic Experiencing® students and practitioners have been combining SE and equine-assisted interventions, recognizing the powerful combination of the two in the context of “healing with horses” type programs. For the past few years, I have been formulating EQUUSOMA™ a training model of equine-assisted trauma recovery combining Somatic Experiencing®, attachment theory, polyvagal theory, trauma-informed care principles, and other related frameworks. The training curriculum has been submitted to the Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute for license approval, and students will be required to complete a certain number of personal sessions and consultation hours as part of the training process.
I am looking to connect with the SE community to identify practitioners who would like to collaborate as part of this initiative. The following are the criteria for the provider and assistant categories:
Personal Session Providers
- EQUUSOMA™ training participants will be required to complete a certain number of personal sessions of Somatic Experiencing, both without horses and with horses.
- Sessions without horses: Participants will be referred to SETI’s list of pre-approved session providers.
- Sessions / workshops with horses: Session / workshop providers will have either of the following:
- Completed SEP status and have at least 3 years of experience of offering equine-assisted interventions (priority will be given to individuals who have SETI pre-approval for providing personal sessions, but is not necessary), OR:
- Have completed the intermediate or advanced levels of SE training and have at least 5 years of experience of offering equine-assisted interventions along with additional relevant training and experience in somatics, attachment and trauma work.
- Approved consultation providers will have completed their SEP status and have been offering equine-assisted interventions for at least 3 years.
- NOTE: SEPs that have been pre-approved by SETI to provide consultations as part of the Somatic Experiencing Practitioner training will take priority in the application process. However, individuals who have not been pre-approved but meet the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Have completed or be in the process of completing the advanced level of SE training
- Have a minimum of 3 years of offering equine-assisted interventions
- Have additional training and experience in the area of somatics, attachment, and trauma work
- Approved training assistants may include:
- SEPs that have been providing equine-assisted interventions for at least 3 years (may or may not also have been pre-approved by SETI as Somatic Experiencing training assistants; pre-approved training assistants for the Somatic Experiencing training will take priority)
- Individuals at the intermediate or advanced level of SE training who have been providing equine-assisted interventions for at least 5 years
- NOTE: Training assistants that are also approved providers may offer sessions and consultations during the training modules.
If you are interested in supporting student learning and deepening your own experience of Somatic Experiencing and equine-assisted practice, please submit a résumé or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please feel free to share this with anyone who might be interested, whether in the USA, Canada or overseas.